~~

Please visit my Groveville United Methodist Church Photo Page. The link is on the right column

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Please Click On Photos & Articles For Better Viewing ~ at the end of the page click "Older Posts" to view next page. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.

2nd annual Groveville & Yardville Reunion Saturday, September 10 at 1:00pm at Alstarz Sports Pub (alstarzsportspub.com), Bordentown, NJ 08505

Friday, October 26, 2007

Groveville School Post Card


This is a Post Card of the brand new Groveville School, mailed October 28, 1908, Ninety nine years ago. The school was only six years old, at this time, built in 1902. The school when built had only two rooms. I believe I had heard the rear two rooms were added around 1916.

The message on the card is;
Yardville;
We are having a nice time, saw Maggie this afternoon, she is well. Tell Father & Mother to come out on Wednesday of next week.
Ida & Howard

The school has not changed much since 1916. When a new roof was applied the two finials on the peaks, as well as the finials on the belfry and the vent cupola were removed. Also removed was the corbel on the front peak in front of the belfry. The township has done a great job of maintaining the buildings historic integrity, while still making improvements, new heat, air-conditioning, energy efficient doors and windows, as well as replacing the original slate roof with a metal roof that resembles slate.

Everyone I ask about the history and their memories of the school asks me if I know what happened to the bell, I don’t. My mother remembers the bell and it being rung for school as well as others do also, but we don’t have an answer as to where it went. I had heard it was removed for maintenance and never returned. I started school there in 1949 and have lived across the street from the school all of my life and never remember the bell. Even if it never rang again it would be nice to have it back in the belfry.

No comments: