~~

Please visit my Groveville United Methodist Church Photo Page. The link is on the right column

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Please Click On Photos & Articles For Better Viewing ~ at the end of the page click "Older Posts" to view next page. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.

2nd annual Groveville & Yardville Reunion Saturday, September 10 at 1:00pm at Alstarz Sports Pub (alstarzsportspub.com), Bordentown, NJ 08505

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Buckley's Tavern and Restaurant, Yardville, New Jersey


Buckley's Tavern and Restaurant ~ Route 130, Yardville, New Jersey






This ashtray is just a little Memorabilia
I have from Buckley's
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buckley’s Tavern, a Yardville institution for many years. I really wish I could find more about the history, I have been told it was the Buckley Family Homestead and became The Buckley family’s tavern and restaurant.
.
Buckley’s was the place to go, back when it was a rural and out of the way Tavern and Restaurant, back when Route 130 (AKA Route 25) was a two lane highway, back when the only thing between Yardville and Robbinsville was Buckley’s Tavern, Edgebrook School, Sadley’s Apple Farm (now Hamilton Market Place), and another small farm north of where I-195 crosses.
.
The food was home cooking at its best. Almost everyone that worked there was a Buckley or Buckley family, everyone knew everyone by name, the waiters & bartenders wore black pants, white shirts, sometimes an apron, the waitresses wore black skirts and white blouses, it was the time before casual dining, no one wore shorts or jeans, it was a place where you went for Sunday Dinner, the men wore jackets and ties, the women wore dresses, it was a place where you felt comfortable, people would have a drink, an appetizer, their meal, then coffee and desert, people would chat with friends at other tables and share a drink at the bar before leaving. Buckley's was not a place where you rushed through your meal, because you had to be somewhere in a hurry, it was a place where you sat and took your time and enjoyed a meal and conversation.
.
During the week they had the "After Work" crowd. Saturday nights there was music, Marlene Donnell mentioned that her Mom and Dad Spent many a Saturday night listening and dancing to the Chubby Britton Band, Chubby's wife was also a Buckley.
.
When you sat in one of the dining rooms you were actually sitting in what was the living room or the dining room of the Buckley Homestead, it does not get much homier than that. Except for the large bar on the back of the building it could have been someone’s house, it was, it was the Buckley’s house.
.
I believe it was in the 1980’s the Tavern left the Buckley family and became “Casey Jones Restaurant”, along with that name came seventy five feet of Railroad Track, a Railroad Box Car and a Caboose, just to boost the new theme of the restaurant. You could dine in the Rail cars or in the dining rooms. At that time the kitchen was expanded.
.
That name lasted a few years then it became “Spikes”, I guess what you would call a “Fun Eatery”, part of the Railroad Box Car became a game room for kids, with prizes. The menu was geared toward kids with lots of fun and finger foods, to attract a more family group, with children.
.
Around 2000 it became Savoy’s, geared to a twenty to Thirty year old crowd, with live bands, and outdoor deck was added and they featured “Lawn parties”, this kind of went with the ban on indoor smoking.
.
Savoy’s closed about two years ago and the building has sat vacant ever since, rumor has it the building has been slated to be torn down, a sad loss for the area.
.
The building and its charm was lost when it left the Buckley Family, it was the end of an era, when men and women dressed up to go out for Sunday Dinner, it was an era where people spoke to the people at the other table, not hidden in their own little booth. It was when food was prepared in the kitchen, not thawed and reheated from some kitchen in Tennessee or Texas.
.
That is when the Tavern closed back in the 1980’s, when it was no longer Buckley’s.

17 comments:

Steve Csorgo Jr said...

Gary,
So great to see this lovely oldtime picture. My Mom & Dad purchased 2.2 acres on Back Creek at the corner of Hamilton-Square Crosswicks Rd & Edgebrook Rd from Mr Buckley in 1947 (for $500) when they returned from the service. I don't ever remember going to dinner there but sure do remember it. Keep up the great work showing the Groveville-Yardville area. Esp. my old home area as it sure has changed so much in the last 20 years. Sadley's Orchards gone, Harry's new store and the new shopping center where the Sales Center was!! What a fire the was and I know Groveville Fire Co was the first to fight it. Thanks, Steve Csorgo Jr

Unknown said...

Just to add another change of hands... Savoy's was also called "Jesse's" in the early 90's. I am not sure how long it held the name though.

Gary said...

You'e right, Dawn. Guess it was changing hands to fast at the time, but I do remember Jessie's, now that you mention it.

Anonymous said...

Mark Morelli, united States
District Court employee, worked as a bus boy at Jessie's for approximately two weekends during the early 1990s. He has become a legendary figure of Jessie's history.

Maggie St. said...

I went to school with Bonnie Buckley and played at her house - and in the restaurant! It felt magical to me to be able to walk through the kitchen while everyone worked and grab ourselves a snack.

After we moved to Morris County in 1975, some bigwigs where my Dad worked said they were going to take my Dad to one of the best restaurants around - and a helicopter ended up flying them to Buckleys!

~Margarit (Reasor)

Joseph Buckley II said...

Hi my name is Joseph Buckley II, My grandfather and grandmother owned the Buckley's Tavern. After they died the resturant was sold, My father actually worked there as a bartender, and my fathers father worked there also. If you would like to learn more information about the Buckley's Tavern you can e-mail me at (buckleyjoey@ymail.com)

Joseph Buckley II said...

Hi my name is Joseph Buckley II, my Grandfather and Grandmother owned the Buckley's tavern, my father and his father worked there, my father was a bar tender, they called him Joey. If you would like to learn more information you can contact me at (buckleyjoey@ymail.com)

Anonymous said...

I have two of those ahstrays, they were found in the trunk of a '63 Coup Deville my father bought many years ago.

Joseph Buckley II said...

No more Worries If the Buckley's Tavern Has not been torn down I will be Buying this summer. I will be Buckley's Tavern again. If you want to learn anything more about Buckley's Tavern I can help my Father is the only living Buckley that worked there. E-mail me @ buckleyjoey@ymail.com

Anonymous said...

Looks like the wrecking ball hit Buckley's Tavern last week. I worked as a busboy in the late 1960's with Bud, Joe, Buddy, Tommy, Hazel, June, Ike...to name a few. Busboys and waiters (there were no waittresses) wore black bow ties. It was a time that I remember fondly.

Anonymous said...

I worked there when it was Jessie's as a bus boy and dishwasher. Jessie's closed in May of 1994 because the health department shut it down and rightfully so. It was pretty disgusting in the kitchen. I was working the day they shut it down and was encouraged by the manager to take anything I wanted (i.e. the random old time objects hanging on the walls)before I went home. Unfortunately I didn't take anything. Whoever bought it and turned it into Spikes completely gutted the building when they remodeled it. I went in for an interview to be a waiter later that summer and everything in the original house and addition was down to bare studs and there was no roof to speak off. So anything other than the studs from the original Buckley house which was built before 1776 (because the house had one of those Hamilton centennial plaques still on the front door, was gone 20 years before they finally tore it down.

Anonymous said...

Correction to the last post. I meant to say built before 1876, not 1776. Sorry.

Donna Camiso said...

Joe Buckley molested me and my sister when he was married to my mother Adrienne. He got away with it. I remember Bonnie and your grandparents. They where kind to me.

Donna Camiso said...

My name is Donna Camiso I wrote this post.

Anonymous said...

If you set out to make me think today; mission accomplished! I really like your writing style and how you express your ideas. Thank you. http://themarkethousetavern.com/

Unknown said...

When you wrote this post my father Thomas Buckley Sr was still alive.

Unknown said...

Hey Gary if you are interested. This is Beth. I am cleaning out my brother's place (Thomas Buckley Jr)he passed away on Halloween 2021. I found 4 cases of bar glasses from the tavern that my father passed down. (I'm using my brothers phone & email)