~~

Please visit my Groveville United Methodist Church Photo Page. The link is on the right column

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Please Click On Photos & Articles For Better Viewing ~ at the end of the page click "Older Posts" to view next page. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.

2nd annual Groveville & Yardville Reunion Saturday, September 10 at 1:00pm at Alstarz Sports Pub (alstarzsportspub.com), Bordentown, NJ 08505

Monday, March 3, 2008

Yardville Aerial View - Circa 1959

Then ~ 1959
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Now ~ 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This photo, I believe, was taken around 1959. The two highways that split the photo are Rt. 130 and Route 156. Before the construction of Rt. 130, Route 156 was the main highway through the area and was then Route 25, originally Route 25 was known as The Bordentown – South Amboy Turnpike.

To the right or the highway you can see Doctors Creek, the Mill Pond Dam, and the foot print of the Mill Pond, its hard to believe the pond was that big, it extended all the way to Springdale Park, now the CYO Camp across from Yardville School, I am sorry I missed it, the dam broke about the year I was born.

To the right of Doctor’s Creek You will see a nicely mowed area. This entire area was the Crosswicks Sand and Gravel Company owned by Mr. George Mozer. There they open mined the sand, washed and sorted it into grades of sand and Pea Gravel. The buildings and equipment in the lower corner were used to wash and sort the material.

The mowed area had been depleted of sand and was graded smooth and grass planted. You will notice a small rectangular pond. This was unique; the pond was dug and lined with pea gravel. At the wide square end there was a block wall with an over flow, this ran into a pipe that allowed the excess water to run to the creek. The pond was not filtered, but spring fed and constantly overflowing, the water was always crystal clear. If your were a friend of George Mozer’s son Dan you could swim at the pool almost any time, just like anyone with a pool, Dan had a lot of friends.

When all of the material being mined was depleted, Mr. Mozer graded the entire area smooth. At some time the pool was completed into a finished pool. The area was leased to a family that converted the area in to the Groveville Swim Club, Later known as the Sun and Fun Club; the area had picnic tables, grills, fireplaces, and pavilions. There were also baseball fields and was used for family, company, church and other groups as a picnic area. Families could also buy individual memberships.

This entire area is now Eagle Rock Apartments, originally Sherwood II Apartments. They built the apartments around the pool and maintained it for many years, the pool has since been removed and the pool locker room converted to their laundry room. The home in the lower right is the house that today sits above Church Street between Zachary Lane and the Groveville School, at the time of this photo it was occupied by the Colgan family.

The large structure in the lower left of the photon near Route 130 is the Carriage House of the VanKannel Estate. Just to the right there is a stand of dark pine trees and a clearing, this was the location of the main house of the estate.

The large barren area in the center left is the Yardville Concrete Company, also owned by George Mozer. This is now know as Yardville Supply, and where the barren area meets Church Street is where Yardville Supply’s Ace Hardware is now.

In the large triangle shaped wooded area in the upper left you can see a factory; this was the Chandler-Palruba Company, this company made Oil Cloth Floor Covering, The factory was torn down years ago and the houses have since been removed and this entire triangular area is now home to the Yardville Acme Market, Roma Bank and an office building.
.
In some ways the area has changed a lot and it some ways its the same, its called progress, I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary,
Great job! I remember a lot about Yardville and lived on S. Broad in the 1950's. I thoroughly enjoyed your efforts.

Jack Larkin

Ahitra Gaethon said...

I live in Madagascar ( East Africa),and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as I have been going through a problem as seriously as my son found a terrible accident last two weeks, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again and I could not pay the bills, then your surgery went to the bank to borrow and reject me saying that I have no credit card, from there i run to my father and he was not able to help, then when I was browsing through yahoo answers and i came across a loan lender Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee, offering loans at affordable interest rate I had no choice but to give it an attempt and surprisingly it was all like a dream, I got a loan of $ 110,000.00 to paid for my son surgery then get myself a comfortable business to help me going as well. I thank God today is good and you can walk and is working and the burden is longer so much on me more and we can feed well and my family is happy today and i said to myself that I will mourn aloud in the world of the wonders of God to me through this God fearing lender Mr Benjamin Breil Lee and I would advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this God-fearing man on ...... 247officedept@gmail.com through .. and I want you all to pray for this man for me or Chat with him on whatsapp +1-989-394-3740 as well.
Thank you