~~

Please visit my Groveville United Methodist Church Photo Page. The link is on the right column

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Please Click On Photos & Articles For Better Viewing ~ at the end of the page click "Older Posts" to view next page. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.

2nd annual Groveville & Yardville Reunion Saturday, September 10 at 1:00pm at Alstarz Sports Pub (alstarzsportspub.com), Bordentown, NJ 08505

Friday, June 25, 2010

October 1976 ~ Save Groveville School

Reading this article brought a tear to my eye. Dennis Moyer dropped this and several other articles and photos off to me, from his Mom, Erdith Dwier Moyer's collection.
.
This was such a "Hub" of the community, I have lived across from the school all of my life. As I mentioned earlier in my blog, Mom's used to walk their children to school, then after the bell rang the Mom's would hang out in the School Yard or on the side walk and talk, then slowly make their way down Church Street to stop at the Post Office to pick up their mail and the latest gossip (no home delivery of mail). From there they would make their way to the corner store to make sure they had something for lunch (As kids we went home for lunch from school) and pick up something for supper, the corner store had canned goods, fresh produce and fresh butchered meat, like a mini super market.
.
My mother Dorthy Lippincott graduated from Hamilton High in 1939, when she went to Groveville School it went to the 8th Grade in four rooms, by the time she reached 8th Grade it only went to 7th and she was bussed to Klockner School for 8th and then on to Hamilton High.
.
I graduated Hamilton High in 1962, when I went to Groveville School it went to 5th Grade in four rooms, the large basement room was the cafeteria and sometimes on rainy days we had our recess time there.
.
By the time I reached the 5th Grade the school only went to 4th and we were bussed to Yardville for 5th thru 7th. Eight was at the old Steinert, now Nottingham, then on to Hamilton High, now know as West.
.
It was a sad day for the community when our school closed, it was a nice school with a personal touch.

For many years Dot Jones, still of Groveville, was our crossing guard at the corner of Church and Main Streets, she knew every student and their parents.
.
One of our teachers, Sarah Brecht, lived on Main Street, and could be seen walking to school along with the children. She was also my Sunday School teacher.

When I was young we had a crossing guard at the school, a maintenance man, a janitor, a man in charge of the boiler, and a teacher's assistant, it was all the same man, Nimrod "Uncle Nim" Dwier, when he spoke you listened.

We didn't have a Principal at the school or a School nurse, The Principal and the School Nurse were at Yardville School, they were also responsible for Yardville Hights School. Many times a nurse would be need for a scraped knee or a bumped head and the nurse would not be available, they would go across the street to my house and get my Mother, Dot Lippincott, to come over, she was a Registered Nurse, she would dab on the Mercurochrome and a band aid.
.
I am gratful the building is still there and is well maintained by the township, I just wish it was a school that my daughter could have attended. Its now used as our community center and the place where we vote, since the Fire Company left town, but that is another story.
.
I have more articles to post on the school, but I want to get this up and work on the others.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gary,
I am grateful to the many contributors of this site.
I have great memories of Groveville
School.I still visit when in NJ. I've lived in California since 1976.I was able to show the school to my grandchildren.
Best Regards,
Roland Wills
roland@wemmco.com