~~

Please visit my Groveville United Methodist Church Photo Page. The link is on the right column

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Please Click On Photos & Articles For Better Viewing ~ at the end of the page click "Older Posts" to view next page. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.

2nd annual Groveville & Yardville Reunion Saturday, September 10 at 1:00pm at Alstarz Sports Pub (alstarzsportspub.com), Bordentown, NJ 08505

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just a Little Background

I have lived in Groveville all of my life and my history in Groveville goes back to my Great Grandparents on my mothers side of the family and my Grandparents on my fathers side. Over the years I have collected many photos and stories, just by listening to family and friends.

I am a fourth generation member of the Groveville Volunteer Fire Co., joining in 1962, believe me some of the best stories are told at the Fire House, where the motto is "Never let a little exaggeration stand in the way of a good story". When I joined the fire company almost every one there lived in Groveville or Yardville and if they were not related to you, they had known your family back to the Mayflower's landing. The story's there were the best.

I have been attending and a member of the Groveville Methodist Church all of my life.

I did notice that the same stories were told at church, but they were much more colorful at the fire house, even though they were told by the same people, Hmm.

For Some time I have been sending my photos and stories to Tom Glover; TOM GLOVER'S HAMILTON SCRAPBOOK He has a wonderful blog, please view it. He not only does Hamilton History, but some Trenton, Ewing, and Lawrence Townships. Tom has told me that he is not sure how much he can post and hope he is not running out of space. Some of my photos have had stories attached. Tom encouraged me to start my own Blog.

I will still be sending my photos to Tom, but my stories and recollections will be posted here.

Years ago, when I would come home with a story about Groveville, from the fire house, my mother would say "You should be writing this down", I never did, guess it seemed too much like "Homework", which at the time I avoided at all cost. Now my mother is 86 and her memories of Groveville are fading and all of the people I grew up asking questions and hearing stories are gone, its time for me to start writing this down, Thanks, Tom Glover for the encouragement.

Some of the posts are the same as I have sent to Tom, but I will confine mine to Groveville and some references to Yardville and Crosswicks.

4 comments:

Aunt Cindy said...

Great Job Gary...looking forward to hearing more stories about the stories about the people who resided here and the town I was born, raised and still reside in...maybe even some of the more recent ones I have heard about from a mutual friends birthday party...they say there are always 3 sides to a story..yours, theirs and the truth...Groveville Style.

Cindy (Pirrera) Flagg
Groveville Gardens

Edna said...

I really enjoyed reading all of your memories of Groveville. My whole family lived there and my parents and sister are buried there in the Church Cemetery. I am also related to a lot of people who are still living there.
Keep up the stories for they are wonderfull to hear.

Edna Lovesky
(Original from Groveville)
Mt. Vernon, Washington

Edna said...

Hi Gary,
Loved all that you have said about Groveville Keep up the stories.
I remember when I was a child going to the groveville school from kindergarden to 3rd grade. Also I remember the Halloween parade which would pass right down my house down by the Mill. Also I remember on 24 Dec (Christmas Eve) seeing the fire truck go doen the street to pick up Santa Clause and drive him through the town. Any way keep up the good work.
(Originally from Groveville)
Now Mt. Vernon, Washington
Edna Lovesky

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary
I did not grow up in your neighborhood nor did I ever visit Groveville. Reading "Groveville Memories" I found the many articles masterly written. they were intelligible and Clearly expressed with great interest & kept me gluded to my Computer for hours.
"We do not remember days; we remember moments. ~Cesare Pavese, The Burning Brand"
Great History
Bill Dall
No.B NJ